Sunday, January 20, 2013

Easy & Quick Chili (vegan friendly)






So the other day I was at Trader Joe's looking for some tempeh when I came across "Soy Chorizo". Now personally prior to being a vegan, i have never tried a regular chorizo, let alone a soy version.  I looked up reviews on my phone to decide whether I should get it or leave it.  Being that there was nothing but good things said about it, I decided to give it a try! Then I made this dish, my chili.  You do not have to use soy chorizo obviously! You can use lean ground turkey or regular chorizo :) 

Ingredients:
5 oz soy chorizo/lean ground turkey
2/3 cup organic red kidney beans (drained)
2 oz of sliced cherry tomatoes
1/4 cup diced onions
1 clove garlic 
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/8 cup of frozen corn or more
1/3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup of tomato sauce (optional)
Cajun seasoning (optional)
Himalayan / sea salt
Chilli powder 

Directions:
1. Heat up oil, sauté onions and garlic until fragrant
2. Add in bell peppers, sauté for 1-2 mins, if you are making the non vegan version you may want to add the turkey now.
3.  Add in the rest of the ingredients, leave to simmer 10-15 mins
4. Season to taste
5. Serve with quinoa / brown rice 

Serves : 2
Calories (vegan option) approx : 260 calories / serving 

No comments:

Post a Comment