Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Don't Regret Your Friends & Family BBQ

I eat clean probably 80% of the time, holidays are a major drawback for me. I always have the "you don't get fat on holidays" excuse. After I engorge in an enormous amount of food then I usually start to feel the effects of it. I become sluggish, bloated and sleepy. Then ill start to complain and whine about how gross it feels. So this year I'm trying out a new thing, control myself. I'm not saying we all shouldn't have a great burger or a hot dog with awesome BBQ sauce. But there are ways to help you to still enjoy your holiday meal/BBQ without regretting it afterwards. Here are a couple of tips that might help:

1. Use small plates - you will end up eating less and not even realise it :)

2. Eat the healthiest options first & try to go for the proteins, skip the bread and chips. If you must have bread go for whole wheat :) load up on grilled veggies!

3. Eat slowly and mindfully - give your brain a time to process, when you pace yourself you are less likely to over eat :) chat and mingle with your friends and family!

4. You don't have to skip the dessert but keep it small. The difference between a large piece of cake and a small one is HUGE. Not to mention the content of processed sugars!

5. Before you go for that beer, think again. Some alcoholic beverages will literally have more calories than your entire meal. Once alcohol is in your system your body makes it a priority to metabolise it before anything else. This is because unlike fats, carbohydrates and proteins, the body is unable to store alcohol. Is it worth it?

6. Do not skip meals to save calories for later! It's a one way ticket to over eating!

Happy 4th of July!!

No comments:

Post a Comment