Sunday, February 10, 2013

Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Muffins





So I am one of those people that like to know what exactly is in my food.  When I walked by a bakery a few days a go I saw what's labeled "Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins" and I LOVE PB & CHOC! and I also LOVE LOVE LOVEE MUFFINS! However I am a vegan first of all and I don't want to eat something that will make my waist line grow sideways :) lol. So I decided to experiment and make my own PB + chocolate muffins.  I mainly use spelt / sprouted flour for my baked goods but any flour is doable :) This is definitely more calorie and sugar friendly than most muffins sold at the stores! Like a skinny version of peanut butter chocolate chip muffin! :)


Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Muffins
vegan, makes 4 big muffins

dry:
1  cup spelt flour / sprouted whole wheat flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
 1/3 tsp sea salt/himalayan salt
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/3 cup rolled whole grain oats

wet:
1/4 cup almond milk or water + 1 tsp chia seeds
1 large banana, mashed (or 1/2 cup apple sauce)
3/4 cup agave/maple syrup or stevia
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract

warmed:
2-3 Tbsp virgin coconut oil (or another veggie oil)
  5-6 tbsp cup of PB2 (after mixed in water)

fold in: 
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, vegan OR 
1/2 cup of crushed vegan chocolate bar, I used endangered species vegan chocolate
pecans or walnuts - optional

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine the chia seeds + liquid, allow to sit and soak for a few minutes until seeds plump.
3. Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add in the wet ingredients including the chia seed mixture.
4. Warm the oil and peanut butter in the microwave until soft and liquid in texture. Pour into your batter and fold well. The batter should be about room temperature at this point - you don't want it too warm or it will melt the chips.
5. Fold in the chocolate chips.
6. Pour into muffin cups.
7. Bake for about 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees. Serve warm.or chilled :)

No comments:

Post a Comment